Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

When the drummer begins by securing his headset with a roll of gaffers tape, its a good bet that you’re in for a hell of a show. Add to that Paul Meany’s beautiful voice and Roy Mitchell-C├írdenas’ ridiculous bass skills and you’ve got Mutemath in full effect.

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

PHOTOGRAPHER’S NOTES

Mutemath’s performance at Nokia was one of those rare shows that, as a photographer, I hoped I was able to do the performance justice; that is to say that I was very conscious of the fact that if at any moment I wasn’t working my hardest, I would be missing a great shot. This concert was also a reminder that having a beautiful subject goes a long way towards creating a beautiful photo.

While in pit, I shot within the 14-70mm zoom range with an exposure of about 1/80 at f/2.8 and ISO 3200. The longer shot are courtesy of the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR.

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

Mutemath - Nokia Theater

MUTEMATH performs at Nokia Theater in Times Square, New York. November 13, 2009. (photo by Chris Owyoung)

  1. Last couple of shots are awesome!

  2. When Paul did his flip over the piano, I just prayed that the lights would hold steady. Thankfully they did!

  3. Full set of photos from @MuteMATH at Nokia Theater — http://bit.ly/NuDb1

  4. Nice set Chris. That show looks like it was a good time! I haven't heard of them before, but now I want to check out some music…

  5. Cool mutemath pics from @chrisowyoung http://bit.ly/483Cx2

  6. grtaylor2

    I love seeing the concert photography of band I am not that familiar with. This definitely helps me make of list of bands I should be on the lookout for here in Phoenix.
    What's the pct. or ratio of shooting photos of live music of bands you know/like and other artists you are not very familiar with?

  7. I'm familiar with 80% of the bands I shoot. The other 20% are usually opening acts. Of the headlining bands I end up photographing, I'm a “true fan” of 30% at best.

  8. I wonder how he shoots these amazing images! http://tinyurl.com/ydgd4zo

Comment